CONFERENCE VENUE: Casino Maltese, Valletta, Malta.
The on-site Makelearn, TIIM & PIConf conference 2023 will take place at the premises of Casino Maltese (http://www.thecasinomaltese.com/, address: 247 Republic St, Valletta, Malta). Local host and conference co-organizer is Pegaso International from Malta.
The Casino Maltese is a private members’ club in Valletta. The Club offers its members the advantage of having a base in the nation’s capital, a home away from home, with a selection of elegant rooms and facilities. Here members meet friends, relax, dine, and enjoy social events or special occasions. The Club is sited in a historic building with sumptuous architectural features, in the centre of Valletta with balconies enjoying views over both St George’s Square and Republic Square.
The conference will also enable online streaming of plenary events and online sessions with paper presentations.
The Makelearn, TIIM & PIConf co-organizers have negotiated prices in some prestigious and historic hotels in Valletta, and participants are also invited to check any other accommodation possibilities (e.g. apartments, hostels, B&Bs etc.). For the accommodation in the affiliated hotels conference participants should make their accommodation booking directly to the selected hotel and receive confirmation from the accommodation provider (when arranging your accommodation, mention “Makelearn, TIIM & PIConf conference” and ask for dicounted price).
Important note: Make booking for your accommodation during the conference as soon as possible due to limited availability of hotel capacities as May is a busy month in Malta.
HOTELS / GUEST HOUSES
- Guest House Capital Inn (in the center of Valletta) (approx. € 80-90 per night, double room)
- Vallettastay Lovely House Private Rooms (in the center of Valletta) (approx. € 100 per night, double room)
- Vallettastay Dormitory shared hostel (approx. € 40 per person/night, in mixed dorm)
- Two Pillows Boutique Hostel (approx. € 40 per person/night, in mixed dorm) (1,6 km from Valletta, every 20 minutes there is the bus n. 13 that goes from Silema to the center of Valletta; it takes 14 minutes and the ticket costs €2).
- Kampnar City Living Suite 3 (studio apartment in the center of Valletta) (approx. € 60-70 per night)
- 79B Valletta Accommodation (apartment for 4 people in center of Valletta) (approx. € 100 per night)
- Vallettastay Old Lodge Apartment 7 (apartment in the center of Valletta) (approx. € 100 per night)
- Valletta Republic Suite (apartment in the center of Valletta) (approx. € 80-90 per night)
- AG1 – Studio in the center (apartment in the center of Valletta) (approx. € 100 per night)
AFFILIATED HOTELS (prestigious and historic 4- or 5-star hotels)
The Makelearn, TIIM & PIConf conference participants will benefit of a 25% discount that will be applied to the room prices at the time of booking (availability permitting). The affiliated hotels that have offered the discount are (click on hotel links below for more information from their websites):
- The Gomerino (estimated discounted price per day in May: € 241 double room bnb)
- La Falconeria (estimated discounted price per day in May: € 173 double room bnb)
- Palais Le Brun (estimated discounted price per day in May: €175 double room bnb)
About Malta and how to get around
Malta has only one airport (Malta International Airport) that is well connected. It is located just 8 km away (20-minute drive) from Valletta.
The cheapest transfer from Malta Airport to Valletta is by bus, with route X1 being in service from early morning until late evening, and tickets cost a few euros. Alternatively, there is the taxi (1-4 pax) for around € 20 and a shared shuttle bus for around €14 for 2 adults (both one-way fares).
In Valletta everything is located within walking distance, it takes just 10 minutes to walk across the city from one side to the other. However, to take a tour of the city, it is possible also to rent electric cars, bikes, and there is a bus that passes through some of the main streets inside and just outside Valletta. A single journey ticket is valid for two hours and costs € 2.
Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, being small, it is sufficient just one day to visit it completely. The main points of interest are Upper Barrakka Gardens, Saint John’s Co-Cathedral, National War Museum, and all the baroque-style buildings in the city.
Since the conference will take place in May, people would want to go to the beach. These are the nicest beaches in Malta: Golden Bay (northwest Malta), Ghajn Tuffieha (western Malta), Blue Lagoon (in Comino). They can be all easily reached by public buses.
Moreover, only 8 minutes from the venue, there is the Wuestenwind beach.